A great smile is loved and wanted by all. But it takes a little effort to keep it healthy. Good oral hygiene is the most important of all the efforts that also includes regular check-ups and cleanings. Following oral hygiene steps promote great oral hygiene and can prevent various oral diseases:
- First and the most important step is to brush teeth at least twice a day or after every meal to avoid acid build up in the mouth.
- Toothpaste containing fluoride should be used as it hardens the tooth enamel and reduces the risk of decay.
- Flossing teeth is an equally important step as brushing. It removes the food stuck deep between the teeth where the toothbrush bristles cannot reach.
- Mouthwash with a solution that contains Listerine or chlorine dioxide. Mouthwash can kill and maintain the bacteria in the mouth.
- Clean the upper rough surface of the tongue daily with a tongue cleaner to remove bacteria that can cause bad breath and other oral diseases.
- Chew sugar-free gum after eating or drinking, especially sugary foods, to help protect the teeth and gums in between meals.
- Increase the intake of calcium and vitamin D that are essential for the teeth as well as bones
- Regularly visit dentist for thorough dental check up to help detect and prevent future dental treatments from
- Do not use teeth for doing things other than chewing like cracking nuts, removing bottle tops etc.